Sunday, May 10, 2009

Why Arranged Marriages Work- Karen

In most western societies women would be terrified if their parents told them that they would be having an arranged marriage, but in Pakistan it is still a normal occurrence. The article we read from the London Weekly Telegraph gave an argument of why arranged marriages work, and why some people would like it to be a more regular occurrence in more westernized cultures.
In arranged marriages parents pick the person they think would be the best match for their child. They are less likely to have their judgment blurred by love or passion and are more able to look at the person as being a good match based on career, goals, and personalities and religious views. More times than not, the approval of the entire family is necessary before the marriage can happen.
In westernized cultures marriage is more based on love and feelings than it is practicality, and therefore the couple is less likely to understand the hard work that must go into the relationship. In Pakistan since the foundation of the marriage is based upon practicality the new couple has their whole relationship ahead of them and are able to get to know each other better as the relationship progresses.
Thoughts of arranged marriages will make me think twice next time I bring a guy home and my family doesn't like something about him. They should be the ones who know me best, and they should know who is best for me. I might not get rid of him on the spot but lets face it, I will think about it. If over half of marriages in the US end in divorce, would it hurt to give a new tradition a try? I mean, I wouldn't mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment