Friday, May 1, 2009

Weddings- Stacy

There are six main parts to the Pakistani Wedding: the Mayuun, two Mehndi's, the Nikah, the Rukhsati, and the Valima. Each part takes place at night, usually starting around 8 pm and takes place at either the Bride or Groom's house, depending on the ceremony taking place. I found this interesting because in the United States weddings take place usually only two days, with the rehearsal and dinner the night before the wedding and then the day of the wedding and reception. Having a wedding that lasts a week and having your family there the entire time would be very stressful for American brides. It surprised me that the family is very involved in the wedding. For me, that would be difficult because my family is very small and does not get along well. In Pakistan families seem to be very close and work together very well.

It was a shock to me that in Pakistan the newlywed couple do not immediately go on a honeymoon but instead move into the home of the groom and his family. In the United States that seems like a very odd tradition because we are used to being independent once we finish high school, sometimes before for people who drop out of school or move out as soon as they are 18. To be dependent on someone other than yourself is seen as drastically different and something that most American brides would look down upon. In Pakistan though, women are expected to move in with their in-laws and be dependent on their husbands. I do not think I could manage very well if I had to move in with my future in-laws or had to be one hundred percent dependent on my future husband. Independence is a big part of American lives and something that is taught to us at a young age.

No comments:

Post a Comment