Sunday, May 17, 2009

Three Cups of Tea: Food- Karen

I was amazed this week of the foods that we cooked and about what I have learned about food from Three Cups of Tea. The things that Greg Mortenson tried while he was in Pakistan makes our class look less than adventurous in what we ate this week. I would be especially reluctant to try what was described as sheep organ stew. I would also have a hard time swallowing butter tea. From Greg's description of the first time he had it in the mountains when Mouzafer made it for him, it sounds supremely unpleasant. Ingredients of Paiyu Cha (the Balti name for butter tea) includes mar (rancid yak butter), salt, green tea, baking soda, and goats milk. Those ingredients mixed together sound less than pleasant to me so for now I think I will stick with restaurant made Indian food, and homemade Mattar Queema, made with beef. Also, I like the thought of a eating a hearty breakfast rather than the sweet masala like tea and chapatti bread the Pakistani eat each day, so eggs and bacon it is for me. Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment